2/19/13

Kelly Clarkson responds to details from upcoming Clive Davis memoir

Interesting Internet posting from Kelly Clarkson today on news that Clive Davis is releasing a memoir. That memoir apparently includes a story about Kelly crying when Davis demanded Since You've Been Gone be on her debut album, a story Clarkson denies.

From her statement:
First, he says I burst into "hysterical sobbing" in his office when he demanded Since You Been Gone be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo and Clive did not. Max, Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn't be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way.

But, yes, I did cry in his office once. I cried after I played him a song I had written about my life called "Because Of You." I cried because he hated it and told me verbatim that I was a "sh*tty writer who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me." He continued on about how the song didn't rhyme and how I should just shut up and sing. This was devastating coming from a man who I, as a young girl, considered a musical hero and was so honored to work with. But I continued to fight for the song and the label relented. And it became a worldwide hit. He didn't include that in the book. 
It would be her sixth top ten single and would sell almost 2 million digit copies.  

There's more in the statement about the My December album and conflict about that. You should read it. When you're reading that know that Clarkson already did a round of interviews regretting that situation but Davis, who btw doesn't need to write a memoir and certainly doesn't NEED to include Clarkson in it (except to try to remain relevant as an 80-year-old billionaire).

Good for her standing up for herself in a business where someone like Davis can beat the shit (figuratively) out of an artist. Brave of her. 

Go buy some Kelly Clarkson music, support this!

You can watch the Because of You video after the jump here. It's a great song. Clive was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment